Catalog > CCSDS-122-E, CCSDS 122.0-B-1 Encoder - Lossless and Lossy Image Data Compression
The Alma Technologies CCSDS-122-E encoder IP core is a complete and autonomous implementation of the CCSDS 122.0-B-1 image data compression standard. The encoder accepts the uncompressed image data in standard raster scan pixel order and outputs standalone and fully compliant CCSDS 122.0-B-1 byte-stream format. The CCSDS-122-E is designed for enabling high-rate data compression, with low resource usage, in both FPGA and ASIC implementations, while also not needing an external memory device for its operation.
The CCSDS 122.0-B-1 standard fits the compression requirement for a wide range of spaceborne two-dimensional spatial image data. In these applications the requirement is for a scalable data reduction, with the option to use lossless or lossy compression, using a memory-efficient and reduced complexity algorithm that results in a fast, low-power and compact hardware implementation. The Alma Technologies CCSDS-122-E encoder implementation realizes all these expected benefits and supports both lossless and lossy compression with a pixel dynamic range of up to 16 bits.
The CCSDS 122.0-B-1 standard was developed to balance between compression performance and complexity. Similar to JPEG 2000, it utilizes a two-dimensional Discrete Wavelet Transform (DWT) for image data decorrelation. CCSDS 122.0-B-1 uses a 9/7 integer DWT for the lossless compression, while a 9/7 float DWT is also specified for improved lossy compression efficiency, especially at low bit-rates. Both DWT options are available by the CCSDS-122-E core. For complete control by the application of the lossy compression ratio, the CCSDS-122-E includes also the optional rate control functionality that is provisioned by the standard. Compared to JPEG 2000, CCSDS 122.0-B-1 achieves similar lossless and lossy compression efficiency.
The CCSDS-122-E is designed with simple, fully controllable and FIFO-like, streaming input and output interfaces. It is a complete and autonomous encoder, not needing any host system CPU or GPU support for its operation. Being carefully designed and rigorously verified, the CCSDS-122-E is a reliable and easy-to-use and integrate IP core.
- Full compliance to the CCSDS 122.0-B-1 specification.
- Numerically lossless or lossy compression with up to 16 bits pixel dynamic range.
- Both integer and float 9/7 DWT.
- Integrated rate control.
- Operation without external memory.
- CPU/GPU-less, complete and standalone implementation.
- Full abstraction of the internal implementation and CCSDS122.0-B-1 details from the top level I/O and its operation.
- Simple, microcontroller like, programming interface.
- High-speed, flow controllable, streaming I/O data interfaces.
- Designed for both FPGA and ASIC implementations with user configurable architecture before synthesis.
- Clear text VHDL RTL source for ASIC designs, or pre-synthesized & verified Netlist for Altera, Lattice, Microsemi and Xilinx FPGA and SoC devices
- Release Notes, Design Specification and Integration Manual documents
- Bit Accurate Model (BAM) and test vector generation binaries, including sample scripts
- Self checking testbench environment, including sample BAM generated test cases
- Simulation and sample Synthesis (for ASICs) or Place & Route (for FPGAs) scripts